Stay True to the Summer BBQ With This Vegan Potato Salad
I won’t lie, I’ve never liked potato salad. For whatever reason, potatoes have never fully agreed with me in the sense that I can get very shaky after eating them if I don’t counteract it with enough protein. Plus, I’ve always hated mayonnaise. So when my boyfriend mentioned that the vegan potato salad he made was a success, I was a little reluctant to try it. But WOW did it ever change my opinion on the summer staple! With perfectly boiled potatoes, protein-packed beans, fresh cucumber, sweet beets, creamy sauce and that crazy purple hue, this vegan potato salad has easily become one of my favourite summer recipes.
As summer is really about to kick off, this salad is great to bring along for any adventures, picnics or barbecues. The lack of dairy and egg makes it perfect for any vegans you might be feeding or any friends with dairy or egg intolerances/allergies. That and the fact that it made a staunchly anti-potato-salad-eater into a very excited recipe blogger! Enough about me raving about this vegan potato salad, and give it a try tonight!
Vegan Beet & Potato Salad
Prep Time Cook Time Yields
15 mins 15 mins 4-6 servings
3 large potatoes, diced into 3/4 inch cubes
1/2 can chick peas
1/2 can beets
1/2 English cucumber
1/3 c. lemon juice
5 tbsp tahini
6 tbsp seeded mustard
1/3 c. fresh parsley
2 – 2 1/2 tbsp. rice vinegar
Salt & pepper to taste
- Dice potatoes into 3/4 inch cubes. Boil potatoes until firm, but cooked through. (About 15 minutes.)
- Quarter the cucumber and cut into small slices. Slice beets into quarters.
- Add chickpeas, cucumber, tahini, seeded mustard, fresh parsley, lemon juice and rice vinegar into a large mixing bowl. Carefully mix together. Add potato once cooked.
- Mix in beets to avoid turning the entire batch purple.(Unlike me, whoops!)
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
Like it? Pin it!
What’s your best picnic recipe? Do you like fresh veggies in your potato salad?
If you enjoyed this post, please share it on your favourite social media platform(s) and tag me in the post!
For more packable lunch recipes, click here.
Special thanks to my handsome boyfriend for letting me share his recipe, and for supporting my crazy blogging dreams & goals. xx